How much would it cost to make an 2D artstyle mockup?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 week, 5 days ago

Hello, I'm making a 2D puzzle game and have a demo/prototype with mechanics implemented across ~50 levels. They are all using programmer art. I'd like to pay an artist to experiment with artstyles and create a mockup screen,

Basically, I have this(but with switches and puzzle stuff):

And want mockups that transform it in to this:

As you can see the rectangles are replaced with detailed tiles. The red squares are enemies. For some they weren't replaced. The images were taken from here: https://deepnight.net/games/game-feel/

The assets don't need to be final or polished. My game also doesn't have enemies. Aside from the environment, they'd need to make a sprite for the player character. Probably a walking or idle pose is enough,

I've looked at fiverr but search results give me UI mockups which I don't need. My game has no UI (like portal), I can't find rates for something like this online. Since this might require a lot of redos. It's a bit risky to commission this normally. So I'm asking here how much it could cost.

Advertisement

There is no good answer. Any potential cost from free to thousands of dollars depending on who you go with and the amount of work. For the quality I know I would want, I'd expect several hundred dollars worth of work and results.

You might also look at the tremendous amount of freely-released resources, many are already in your art style.

@undefined Sorry if the pic was misleading. The pics are there to explain what sort of mockup I want. The art style of my game may be different. So the free art assets like this won't help

I want the mockup to show publishers a rough idea of what the game's art style would be. Quality wise, maybe hollow knight level backgrounds?

@7th_dragon_knight you need to contact some artists and get estimates. They'll need an art list or at least an art count to make their estimates.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined Yes. But this would be my first time commissioning anything. Since this'll likely require some redos, it's possible that I mess up in the initial price negotiation. That's why I'm asking in the art forum what people could be expected to pay in this situation.

7th_dragon_knight said:
it's possible that I mess up in the initial price negotiation.

With many artists, there may not be any negotiation. Their rate is their rate. Their redo rate is their redo rate.

7th_dragon_knight said:
That's why I'm asking in the art forum

If this method doesn't get you what you need, you can fall back on Plan T: contact some artists directly, on an individual basis, and get estimates that account for your anticipated redos.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement